Springing forward isn’t an option. But you don’t have to let the time change throw you off your game. It’s also a great time to talk about how important our sleep is.
Not prioritizing your sleep can have serious health consequences:
⬇️ cognitive performance,
⬆️ systemic inflammation,
⬆️ risk for illness and
⬆️ risk for chronic health conditions like diabetes, cardiovascular disease, depression, and anxiety.
And it’s been linked to 7 of the 15 leading causes of death!
To get the best sleep, here are some sleep hygiene hacks…
1. No afternoon caffeine
2. No large meals 3 hours before bed, but also don’t go to bed starving.
3. No intense exercise 3 hours before bed but do exercise daily to promote sleep quality.
4. Don’t toss and turn in bed if you can’t fall asleep. Get up and stretch. Try again in a few minutes.
5. Keep blinds drawn and room as dark as possible. This incudes cell phones, tv, alarm clock, etc.
6. No screens 1-2 hours before bed. (I struggle here!)
7. Keep thermostat as cool as possible. (I keep mine at 69)
8. Wake up at the same time every day (yes even weekends or close the gap as best you can)
9. Incorporate a consistent and calming bedtime ritual and sleep meditation.
10. Try to avoid daytime naps or limit to 20 minutes max…even that coveted Sunday afternoon snooze.
#sleephygiene #sleepandweightloss #timechange #daylightsavingsproblems #sleepandhealth #sleephacks #wholelifehealth